SeaStar Standard Steering System Kit - Front Mount - Twin Outboard, Twin Cylinder
Twin Outboard, Twin Cylinder - 4.9 Turns
Performance: This pivoting cylinder from SeaStar offers the incredible steering ease and reliability that puts SeaStar cylinders way ahead of the competition. Throughout the steering arc there simply isn’t anything that feels better to drive!
Simplicity: Integral bleeders and few components make installation a snap. Less moving parts and improved seals boost durability and reduce maintenance.
Reliability: SeaStar took it’s previous cylinder’s outstanding design to the next level, improving seals, bearings, fittings and corrosion protection.
- 20% less effort at hard-over than competitive systems
- Rigid tilt tube mount for no-compromise performance
- Unique pivoting tiller connection allows full engine articulation with independent tilt and trim on twin engines
- Ultra corrosion resistant construction. Painted components are anodised before coating for extra protection
- Small footprint fits virtually all splashwells
- Meets ABYC standards/NMMA requirements
SeaStar Steering Systems are totally self-contained, non power-assisted units that make steering a boat a truly enjoyable experience. Their super-efficient hydraulic operation produces an effect most people equate with “power steering”. With a compact helm, two hoses and a cylinder, a SeaStar system fits easily into the same space as a mechanical system.
The SeaStar Hydraulic System
Easy to install (only three components):
- Tube or hose
Compact and attractive helm design. Variety of helm mounting configurations. Simple tube/hose fitting connections. Clear, concise installation instructions.
Easy to fill and purge:
- Engineered bleed fittings on the cylinders
- A helm and lock valve design that enhances air removal
- A no mess filler device
- Filling and purging time of normally less than 30 minutes
- Heavy duty bearings instead of bushings
- All metal construction. All exposed components are either stainless steel, marine grade anodised aluminium or brass
- Field replaceable helm and cylinder shaft seals
- Anti-friction piston points
- A no hassle warranty - two years for recreational use
- one year for commercial use
The Helm Pump
The SeaStar helm is an axial piston pump specifically designed for manual hydraulic steering. Every load bearing point within the helm pump runs on either a roller or ball bearing race for super low friction and smooth positive steering. It has a built in lock valve to prevent the steering load from feeding back to the driver. The lock valve will not allow the rudder or drive unit to move until you open it by moving the steering wheel. The lock valve section of the helm also includes a relief valve. This relief valve provides over-pressure protection for mechanical components, hydraulic hoses and fittings.
The SeaStar system has a cylinder for most steering applications. With reliability being paramount in SeaStar’s design concept, all steering cylinders feature dual end seals, anodised aluminium or brass barrels and chrome plated stainless steel shafts for minimal friction and maximum seal life.
Hose & Connections
Required to provide a path for the fluid to flow under pressure from the helm pump to the cylinder. It is recommended to only use hydraulic oil supplied specifically for SeaStar.
Selecting the System
The objective is to match the steering cylinder to the requirements of the vessel. This depends on four factors:
- Type of vessel - sail or powerboat, planing or displacement
- Type of propulsion system of the vessel (i.e. inboard, outboard, stern drive, etc.)
- The number of engines or rudders
- The total power of the engine(s)
Once the cylinder has been selected, the helm pump(s) can be determined.
Helm selection depends on three factors:
- Number of turns required
- The number of steering stations
- Helm configuration (i.e. standard, back mount or tilt helm)